Cloth-makers , tailors and...
Ken FOLLET, World without end, London : Macmillan, 2008, pag.466: "They say
the Italian merchants are buying fleeces in Spain" ;Ken FOLLET, World without end, London : Macmillan, 2008, pag.475: "But Italian cloth feels so different.... I don't think the Italian weavers are all stronger than you.. Then it's their machines. The bettere the loom, the closer the weave."
Ken FOLLET, World without end, London : Macmillan, 2008, pag.481: "Do you know what alum is? ... Tanners employ it in the preparation of leather, sometimes... It acts like a mordant- it helps the dye to bite the wool".
A cloth maker was a person who makes clothes from fibers, usually with looms (see some of them specialized in weaving silk in the reference blog). Tailors, who were responsible of making the final product, and merchants used to buy their "raw material" from clothmakers. Instead a tanner was specilized in the treatment of animal skins to become leather. Shoemakers used to make shoes. They had to measure the foot of each person to make a customised model. They weren't able to create their on materials, so they used to supply form clothmakers, tanners and blacksmith, depending on which kind of shoes were requested by the customer.

Shoemakers from Das Ständebuch (The Book of Trades), 1568

A tanner used to work outside the city because of the smells producted during
the processing to produce the leather, due to the used substances (urine and
feces) and the waste ones (rotting flesh)
Ken FOLLET, World without end, London : Macmillan, 2008,pag. 465 :"I'm sure I am the only prior in Christendom who lives in a house like a a leather tanner's."
Ken FOLLET, World without end, London : Macmillan, 2008,pag. 465 :"I'm sure I am the only prior in Christendom who lives in a house like a a leather tanner's."
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento